[Rhodes22-list] Heading South on Saturday

Roger Pihlaja cen09402 at centurytel.net
Fri Jan 28 05:06:02 EST 2005

Bryan,

Have a great trip!  We all can't wait to hear about your adventure.

I'm glad the refinish on the inflatable dingy floorboards worked out for
you.

With your limited time and assuming you didn't have a heated space to pull
the boat & trailer into in order to work on the trailer, shifting the gear
around to give you more tongue weight was undoubtably the right call.  Your
setup/takedown times will be a little bit longer; but, you will be safe on
the road.  You can always work on the trailer next summer.

I've had to trailer Dynamic Equilibrium over 1000 miles twice in the winter.
Even if you lucked out with weather & had mud flaps on the trailer, the boat
will be totally covered in road grime by the time you get to Florida.  Just
be certain to seal everything up as good as you can before you hit the road
and run the boat & trailer thru a coin operated car wash as soon as you
reach warmer weather.  Note, be especially certain to protect the genoa
sheet winches, the bearings on the roller furler, and your outboard if it is
still mounted on the transom.  HD plastic bags and duct tape from the
hardware store work well for this.

Again, Bryan, have a great time!  I wish I was going with you.  This deep
freeze up here in Michigan is getting a little old.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium