[Rhodes22-list] Dogs

Slim salm at mn.rr.com
Fri Jul 8 16:25:15 EDT 2005

Thanks for the responses.  Both my wife and I had poodles when we were
young.  Mine was a mini and hers was a standard so we're familiar with their
intelligence, grooming needs and occasional mischief.  Saroj, the image of
yours chewing his way off his leash and then freeing other dogs was probably
a horrible experience at the time, but I'm laughing my butt off at that one.
My mini was a true escape artist as well.  No chain link fence will do if
they learn to climb.

I've read the Monks of New Skeet, Barbara Woodhouse and other field training
stuff, but my favorite source is "How To Teach a New Dog Old Tricks" by Ian
Dunbar.  He goes long on overall temperament training and socializing.  I
like his idea that you don't teach a dog not to bark--you teach him WHEN to
bark.  Or don't teach him not to dig but WHERE to dig, etc.

We're very serious about the crate-training/house-breaking and so far, so
good.  We see to it that he never has the opportunity to do anything
wrong--at least for now.  We take him for walks along the lake shore and he
wades in but hasn't gone deep enough to swim yet.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Slim