[Rhodes22-list] Bill's reply on Mac 26 and Hunter Sailboats!

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Fri Jul 15 10:34:15 EDT 2005

Ed,

As noted previously, Macs and Hunters are not in the same league as an
R-22.  They "oil can" in every day use.  It's like comparing a Yugo to a
Rolls--they can both get you to your destination, but the ride and
amenities are nicer in the Rolls.

I did learn a lot from the water ballast, though.  I continue to use
water ballast to trim my Rhodes.  The function of  ballast in a Mac,
R-22, and J-24 is very different.  In the Mac the ballast is needed just
to keep the tall pole pointed upward instead of downward.  In the R-22
you use ballast to maintain the boat flat on the water in differing wind
conditions and with different crew.  In a J-24 the ballast allows you to
put up a lot of sail relative to the size of the boat without having the
wind knock you over.

All 3 boats are capable of planing, although it is most difficult in the
Rhodes.  The Rhodes is the most stable of the 3.

Bill Effros