[Rhodes22-list] does anyone

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Thu Jul 21 12:22:39 EDT 2005

Bimini makers offer stock parts that look a lot like the parts you guys
are trying to find.  Are these parts somehow different from what you need?

Speaking of Biminis, I saw a guy yesterday coming into my harbor who was
rolling up a piece of canvas with wooden battens on each end that served
as his Bimini while sailing.  The winds were 5-10, blowing up to 15 at
times, and his faux Bimini showed no signs of distress.  There appeared
to be 4 built in ties attached outside the wooden battens.  To use
something like this on our boats you would attach 2 ties to a raised pop
top, and the other 2 to the rear stays at some height above the traveler.

BTW -- I almost always sail with my pop-top up.  The only weather I
don't sail with the pop-top up is weather I know in my heart I should
not be in in the first place.  Again, I know the magazines repeatedly
advise against sailing with the pop-top up, but IMHO they are giving
advice for lesser boats.  The pop top on our boat will stay in place no
matter what weather you throw at it.  I do not race, and I don't care
about the additional drag.  I like the additional safety of having the
use of the cabin in addition to the cockpit at all times.  I frequently
sail from the cabin, using my weight to steer the boat.

Back to work.

Bill Effros