[Rhodes22-list] boat full of water, please help

Lou Rosenberg steadilsr at verizon.net
Wed Jul 27 15:49:55 EDT 2005

Alan,
As a project boat owner, with a damaged CB trunk due to water flowing
in from leaky portlights and  poor tarping , mainly due to negligence
from the previous owner,  I would drain the water asap, and examine the
CB flange that is the part that sticks out above the bilge.  I would
inspect the junction of your bilge floor where it meets the flange and
if  its cracked and filled with holes, the interior of your trunk now
has water in which will swell the laminate and make it VERY difficult
or Impossible for you to move the CenterBoard (CB).

  Hopefully this has NOT occurred to your boat as yet.

This is my problem and I am almost at the end of my job of removing the
bad cement ballast that swelled after cutting away the swollen laminate
inside my CB trunk with a dremel attached to a flex drive.
It has been a 6 month project doing it part time (1-2 days a week)
Yesterday in fact I had  to remove the pivot slots which hold the pivot
pin and completely reinforce the laminate with new epoxy and glass
tape.  Now I have to rebond the 2 slots back into the cement and add
the patches of epoxy laminate I bought online to fill the areas where
my laminate was corrupted.

  feel free to email me directly if you want to get more details on what
this type of damage can do to other parts of the boat!
  Lou
  project boat " Rhodes 2 Recovery"

  lsr3 at nyu.edu

On Wednesday, July 27, 2005, at 09:36 AM, sugargroveumc at bright.net