[Rhodes22-list] boat full of water, please help

Todd Tavares sprocket80 at mail.com
Wed Jul 27 19:33:01 EDT 2005

Alan,

   Making the assumption that the boat is stored on it's trailer, I will make a few suggestions how so much water could get into the bilge in one night.  My  boat (1977) has drains in the rear corners of the seats.  These drains were 3/4" but had an ID of only 3/8" so they quickly got blocked up.  The seat gutters filled up and overflowed into the lazarette which is open to the bilge area. Many people keep their trailer slightly bow high to keep leaked water in the rear laz area away from the cabin and most of the structural wood.  I upsized the seat drains to 1 1/8" fittings and have not had another problem since.  The cockpit floor drain fitting may also be blocked and leaking into the laz.  The cockpit and seats can act as a big catch basin, which would explian why you got so much water in one night.  Some older boats have holes drilled in the forward end of the seat gutters. Water can run through these holes wick along the bottom of the seats and drip into the cabin under the gunnels.  Some have chose to seal up  these holes.

    I would suggest replacing and re-sealing all of the deck and through hull fittings as well as sealing the chainplates, portlights, any where that hardware penetrates the cabin or deck (using the "West System"), and rebedding all fixtures.  This would be a logical starting point of any restoration of a boat as old as ours.

   You did not say if the bilge fills up with rain water if you cover the pop-top area with the tarp?

Todd