[Rhodes22-list] How bad is some water in the laz?

Saroj Gilbert saroj at pathfind.net
Sat Jul 30 22:49:17 EDT 2005

In my Rhodes22, there is a continuous passage from the laz into the cabin
and thus the bilge... don't know about others, but I thought this was
common.  The scuppers are really not large enough and I considered
increasing the size to 3/4 inch or 1 inch to reduce the problem here... it
doesn't take many leaves to clog them as they are.  You might consider doing
this if you are doing a lot of work anyway.

I believe that much of the water that gets into my cabin also comes in thru
the CB line scupper... the tube that this line goes thru has pulled away
from the fitting that goes into the CB casing and is too short to reconnect.
I'm going to have to fit another longer tube into this space and thread the
line thru it and back up thru the scupper.

I also have rain coming in thru the front port lights which need to be
rebedded at which time I'll replace the screens...  some folks have
installed canvas covers over these front opening ports to reduce the
accumulation of water there.

If my battery gets too low so that the bilge pump no longer pumps, I get
significant water in the bilge and cabin floor over time.  If this becomes a
substantial amount, the rigid foam seems to absorb it and then leaches it
out  so that water accumulates in the bilge even after the initial quantity
is pumped out..  I'm only guessing on this last point as I can't figure out
why water continues to drain although the laz appears dry and the bilge
float is no longer activating the pump (until the water level gets high
enough to activate the switch again)..

Saroj