[Rhodes22-list] Test Message and Tiller Question

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Wed Jun 1 13:49:56 EDT 2005

Julie,

Razz was the resident varnishing expert on this list, and my personal
varnishing guru.  Here is his reply to your question from 2000:

Rummy,

I have used Pettit Ultra-V-Gold urethane reinforced varnish for the last
decade or so with very good results. Its not too horrendously expensive,
$23/qt in West catalog. Has that nice deep gold color and high gloss of a
good traditional varnish but seems to retain its flexibility and toughness
longer. I thin it just a little with Marine Penetrol for better brushing and
flow. Generally do 9 coats on bare wood and a refresher coat once a year.
Slow process. It works best if you let it dry for at least 24 hours between
coats. The penetrol, which is mostly linseed oil slows the drying process
but unlike solvent thinners doesn't reduce the coating thickness. I do a
fine wet sand between coats with 220 grit wet or dry papers and a little
dish washer detergent in the water. Then wipe with Pettit brushing thinner a
few minutes before the next coat.  The Penetrol instructions say you can
skip the sanding and just wipe down with penetrol before the next coat but I
have had this soften the underlying coat enough to cause problems.
For me this is all a very pleasant meditative process. I much prefer this
activity to cleaning buffing and waxing fiberglass. Goes great with beer or
rumncoke.

Razz