[Rhodes22-list] the Crawford adventure begins (for a change of pace)

FCrawford0707 at aol.com FCrawford0707 at aol.com
Fri Jun 3 20:13:23 EDT 2005

Stan, Rose and Rhodies - Andrea and I are back home , having made the first
leg of our Homeward Bound trip from Edenton to Avalon.  We pulled in to the
Sailing Emporium in Rock Hall Thursday afternoon, where we will berth Sunday
Morning for most of June, before heading up the rest of the Bay and then down
the Delaware Bay.  Our trip was was a great experience - met some really  nice
"cruisers" along the way and experienced a great variety of wind and  weather
conditions,as well as the several different personalities of the  Chesapeake
Bay.   Andrea, a reluctant participant in the planning, was a  cheerful and
helpful - indeed essential - sailor, whose good judgment kept us in  good stead
along the way.
    You can imagine our surprise to see Stan and Rose  at the Dismal Swamp
Visitors Center, where we were rafted up after day 2 of  the trip  to two other
boats - of course we were the smallest by far.   Stan spotted the red genoa
cover and IMF triangle and we both were a bit proud  of the way "our" Rhodes
held herself in the company of the 35 footers she was  rafted to - she did indeed
look spiffy.
    We'll try to give some more details of our  experience later on, but as a
synopsis, we explored the Albemarle Sound (winding  up in the Elizabeth City
town docks after midnight of our first day), then thru  the Dismal Swamp Canal
(locking through was great fun in perfect weather  conditions).  We then
stopped at Waterside in Norfolk for the next night -  noisy and busy, but great
fun as a contrast to the tranquility of the  Dismal and the upper Pasquatank
River (from Elizabeth City to the Canal, a truly  beautiful stretch).
    The next day our Plan A was to make Deltaville  - we settled for Plan B,
Horn Harbor, a very rural setting, where we were  welcomed and paid the lowest
slip fee of our trip.
     We then crossed the Bay to Tangier Island - an  experience not to be
missed - I almost fell of the boat when we pulled up to the  dock and saw a very
large power cruiser (wasn't a trawler) with "Sunday Morning"  lettered across
her stern. The dockmaster was the single most patient man  I've ever met - the
slip was way, way too big for our 22 and Andrea and I  struggled for a
seeming eternity to get our lines properly positioned.
    We got too late a start the next day, walking  around the island and
dodging golf carts, but still managed to across to the  Western shore,arriving at
Solomons a little before sunset.  We liked it so  much that we planned a "lay
day', to do some wash, shopping, walking around -  but the weather report  the
next  morning indicated that our lucky  string of sunny days was about to end
abruptly on Thursday ( this was now  Wednesday morning) so we again went to
Plan B and hightailed it up the Bay to  Herrington Harbour, with weather
conditions rapidly deteriorating as we  approached Herring Bay.  We thought that
this was to be the end of the  first leg, but the Thursday morning WX was better
than anticipated (10 to 15 kn  easterlies, but only showers, rather than
steady rain as previously  forecast).  So we set out early for Annapolis, then
again went to B plan,  since we were doing ok into the weather as we approached
Annapolis, and so  decided to press on to Rock Hall
    Since I still have a day job, we broke the cardinal  rule of cruising of
not adhering to a schedule - as a result , we did  more motoring than sailing,
although we did get some good sailing in  at  times.  The Yamaha 8-horse was
a trooper , I felt the battened IMF was a  definite improvement in
performance.  I would characterize the trip as  two-thirds passage to one-third cruise -
if you would do something similar,  reverse the percentages and you will get
more sailing time and less  motoring.
We feel good about  accomplishing our primary goal - transiting the Dismal
Swamp Canal and up  the Chesapeake Bay - safely and yet with moments of anxiety
that any such  journey will inevitably bring.  For those of you who have never
locked into  a canal, I would recommend the experience - we had a lot of fun
and the  comraderie added to the experience.