[Rhodes22-list] NOAA weather privatized?

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Sat Jun 4 20:59:40 EDT 2005

New York Times Editorial, Today:
June 4, 2005

  Overcast in Pennsylvania

Far from just talking about the weather, Senator Rick Santorum is doing
something dank and cloudy about it: he is proposing to squelch the
National Weather Service's growing role in the information age.

The Weather Service provides a priceless flow of nonstop measurements
and readings that commercial forecasting companies package and sell to
the public. Lately, the Weather Service itself has been trying to make
all its information more accessible to anyone who wants it. But Mr.
Santorum, the No. 3 Republican in the Senate, has introduced legislation
that would basically require the service to give much of its data only
to those private weather forecasting companies. A dozen of those
businesses happen to be located in Mr. Santorum's home state, Pennsylvania.

"It's not an easy prospect for a business to attract advertisers,
subscribers or investors when the government is providing similar
products for free," the senator said, somehow overlooking that taxpayers
finance this round-the-clock national resource in the first place.

Senator Santorum, who is running for re-election, is vowing to protect
hundreds of Pennsylvania weather company jobs. But timing is everything
in both politics and weather, and his case was not helped by the fact
that two days before the bill was introduced, his campaign accepted a
$2,000 donation from one of the weather companies lobbying for
protection. This was dismissed by the senator's supporters as a
small-beer coincidence in a $25 million race. But as they say on the
weather segment, it's a lingering disturbance on the Doppler.