[Rhodes22-list] NOAA weather privatized?

brad haslett flybrad at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 4 21:33:53 EDT 2005

Neil,

Santorum is the only sponsor of this bill and I doubt
anyone else is anxious to jump on it, however, it
would behoove all of us to write our Senators to be on
the safe side.  If you read the proposed legislation
it does have SOME logic to it, ie., Accuweather is
asking that NOAA make its data available in realtime.
That would be of value to a handful of very time
sensitive industries, say airlines, and would spare
the weather industry from spending the money to build
their own data collection infrastructure.  But, to
suggest that the current regulations allow NOAA to
"compete" with private industry is a sham to cover the
real purpose of this bill - pork barrel politics. NOAA
weather reports is certainly good enough for sailing,
and 98% of flying.  If you need more accuracy for the
other 2%, pay for it, a lot of companies do.

Brad Haslett
"CoraShen"