[Rhodes22-list] diesel generators

brad haslett flybrad at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 5 10:07:19 EDT 2005

Stan,

Even using straight diesel fuel solves the carbon
monoxide problem, biodiesel makes it smell better.
The problem is that the smallest diesel weighs about
2-3 times the 1000 watt Hondas/Yamahas.  Fisher-Panda
makes a very slick sailboat genset that is extremely
quiet (demo'd one at the Annapolis power boat show)
but it is too heavy to be portable.  There are a
couple of German and Italian companies that make small
diesels in the 4 - 6 hp range (with Chinese knockoffs
available as well) that could be converted to genset
use - still the weight problem though.  It will be
hard to beat the weight (26 lbs) or the quietness (54
decibels) and the price ($600 - 700) of the
Honda/Yamahas.  I took the muffler cover off my Honda
eu1000i to have a good look at the muffler.  It would
be very easy to weld a fitting on the muffler to
connect it to a flexible genturi type exhaust elevated
by an extra halyard.  So far that is the best solution
I've heard of.  A 1000 watts is enough to run a 500
watt microwave or up to about a 5000 btu
air-conditioner.

Brad