[Rhodes22-list] Oil canning on the trailer

Peter Thorn pthorn at nc.rr.com
Thu Jun 9 00:02:33 EDT 2005

MJM,

That's a good point and I agree with all of it except for the part about trailers not equipped with strap hooks.  My 2003 Triad has two forward and two aft tie-down hooks welded to the frame made of 1/2" rod.  Each one looks capable of securing the entire boat.

I use two  "X"ed cross straps to the stern eyes (like Roger) in the rear and a single long strap across the front.  The front strap breaks just in front of the cabin house, right on the aft foredeck.

Also, 1/4" chain from the winch tower to the bow eye.  It's a big PITA to rig all that strapping, but worth it in peace of mind while driving.

PT