[Rhodes22-list] Tiller Tamer

Herb Parsons hparsons at parsonsys.com
Fri Jun 10 18:29:26 EDT 2005

I used a tiller tamer on my O'Day 25 for about 2 years before I bought an auto-pilot; however, I never tied and retied the lines. Instead, I put clamcleats on the stern of the boat. Now that I have an autotiller, the tiller tamer is gone, but I still use the cam cleats. When I slip the boat, and occasionally when I need to tie it down quickly, I wrap a line around the tiller and put the ends in the clamcleats.

Herb Parsons

S/V O'Jure
  1976 O'Day 25
  Lake Grapevine, N TX

S/V Reve de Papa
  1971 Coronado 35
  Lake Pontchartrain, Louisiana Coast

>>> salm at mn.rr.com 6/10/2005 4:07:16 PM >>>

> Whose boat has the line controlled tiller tamer?  I think that might be in
> order for taking pictures.  I do not have the autopilot.

I used the tiller tamer on Fandango for the last few years but I'm going to
try to do without it this season.  It's a quick and easy way to  lock the
tiller but unfortunately the plastic housing seems to break easily and I had
to replace it more than once.  Also, the lines prevent you from being able
to raise the tiller to gain access to the laz, so you always have to untie
and retie the lines every time you go to the laz.

This year I'm going to use the tiller extension and the side clips on the
stern rail.  It's not as quick as the tiller tamer but I'll try it for a
while and see if I like it better.  I don't have auto-pilot.

Slim