[Rhodes22-list] Larger boats

brad haslett flybrad at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 12 08:32:30 EDT 2005

Joseph,

A bigger boat is a mixed bag.  I "upgraded" to an S2
30 footer with my wife's urging because of the same
issues your wife is raising.  As a floating condo,
yeah, its a vast improvement.  As a pleasurable
day-sail vessel, it is not as easy to single-hand,
needs more wind, costs more to buy and operate, and
requires more maintenance time.  Chris Rook, the only
sailboat dealer in my area, jokes that he makes his
money selling the boats customers think they need, not
the one they really need.  If you plan to spend a lot
of nights on your boat, cruise, or consistantly
entertain large numbers of guests, bigger is better.
For most people, myself included, the R-22 fills most
of the squares.  For the difference in purchase price
and upkeep you can charter a bigger boat annually in
some pretty nice places.  We have a crude expression
in my profession that sums it up nicely.

"If it flys, floats, or f*&ks, lease it!

Brad