[Rhodes22-list] Question for James Wilson on sail trim

James Wilson jwilson22 at prodigy.net
Sun Jun 12 22:17:02 EDT 2005

> James:
>
> I enjoyed your detailed reply on sail trim.  However, it begs the
question,
> Do you have a Rhodes 22 with the IMF sail?

Not yet.  I am in the process of selling my Cal 28 with a traveler and no
vang, and then downsizing to something trailerable.  Rhodes 22 is high on my
list of possible replacements.

I also have a West Wight Potter 19 with a vang and no traveler, and a home
built Gaff rigged sloop trailerable I built myself with a vang and a peak
halyard yet no traveler and have sailed several other boats and rigs to
include sprit sails,  Cat Ketch rigs with sprit booms, and Daysailor racers
with no ballast, and travelers and vangs.

Clearly the theory is transferrable to most rigs.  However,  on an innermast
furler, telltale pairs a foot back from the luff would be of limited
usefullness when furled.  In this case,  3 individual telltales on the leach
evenly spaced up the sail would likely prove most efficaceous.  In this
instance again you would hope to have the telltales streaming straight back
from the sail and not veering either to windward or leeward.