[Rhodes22-list] Dry Tortuga Adventure

Robert Quinn rjquinn at bellsouth.net
Mon Jun 13 17:12:43 EDT 2005

Ed:  Many thanks. Terry and Rhonda did wonderful.  We have gotten caught out
in a couple of good thunderbumpers and it is a definite "white knuckle"
experience.  However, you have to deal with it and they did it with sound
(except for the slip of not wearing a harness and floatation device the
first time out) judgment.  We got caught out in the Atlantic in the R22
"NoKaOi" for a hair raising experience a couple of years ago.  The boat
handled the weather, waves, and rain with no problem.  We furled the Genoa
and reduced the main somewhat and ran with the wind for about a half hour
before the storm finally let us free.  We tried to motor away at one point
but the ride was so uncomfortable, I killed the engine and went with the
sail.

When we departed Punta Gorda in April of 2004 headed for the Keys it was our
plan to go via the Dry Tortugas; however, the weather just would not permit
a safe passage.  We did the trip to the Keys via "day sails:"  Punta Gorda
to Cayo Costa, Cayo Costa to Naples, Naples to Marco Island, Marco Island to
Shark River, Shark River to Marathon, Marathon to Key West via the Hawk
Channel.  We wound up getting "winded in" at the mouth of the Shark River
for four nights.  When we finally arrived in Key West we met up with some
folks on a Valiant 40 who "got hammered" in the Tortugas while we were
penned in on the Shark River.  They drug anchor down on another boat.  They
got their engine going to motor forward but the fellow whose anchor rode
they had drug on was right at their stern.  They had to watch the stern of
their boat get "eaten" by the other fellows anchor roller.  Their stern was
not a pretty sight.  The eventually managed to motor forward and re-set
their anchor - they actually dropped three.  The other boat sustained only
minor damage and the people were very helpful even though they were the
victims.

We still want to head to the Tortugas but will only do so when the weather
settles down.  Last year and this year has not been especially great for
"gentleman" sailing.  Even when we left Key West for Stuart we pounded our
way up to Marathon with 20 to 25 right on the nose with 5 plus waves in the
Hawk Channel, which is somewhat protected by the reefs.  We spent the night
in Marathon and then cut through the seven mile bridge into Florida Bay for
the trip to Cape Florida.  The Bay was rough but nothing like the Atlantic
side.  By the time we got to Biscayne Bay (a night off Matacumbe and a night
off Pumpkin Key) the weather turned very favorable.  Our sail across
Biscayne Bay was one of the finest sailing experiences we have ever had.  A
Perfect 10!  If anyone comes this way with their R22, Biscayne Bay should be
a mandatory endeavor.

We had a great sail three weeks ago to Lake Worth and back but it has rained
every day since we're back.  Today may be the first good day but our home is
torn apart with a new kitchen going in and we are still waiting for the
contractor to finish the roof which was damaged in the hurricanes last year.
As they finished pulling all the shingles a major storm front moved through
and thoroughly doused our home causing some serious water damage, which will
have to be repaired..

Meanwhile our boat is perfectly dry inside and waiting our next sailing
adventure.

And no, we are not on the sailnet Florida west coast list.  But when we head
that way again, I'll give it a look.  Will also ask for the pictures.
Thanks

Bob and Kathy on the "NoKaOi"