[Rhodes22-list] Oops page

brad haslett flybrad at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 13 21:02:50 EDT 2005

Mark,

Thanks for the photos.  I was busy when I got in this
afternoon and just now had time to go through the
whole file.  Lots of interesting stuff - I'll pass
them around.  I was suprised at the number that I had
some first hand knowledge about.

The fellow who helped me get my boat out of the mud a
few weeks ago was president of our union when our
MD-11 flipped upside down in EWR (one of the photos).
The airport authority was in such a hurry to move the
debris off the runway to re-open the airport that the
wing root was hauled off to the dump and never
recovered.  Another of the photos was of a Mandarin
MD-11 that crashed one day before the NTSB report came
out on ours.  There is still some controversy on the
final report.  Somedays a hero, somedays a goat.

The joke that was going around about our DC10 (file
photo) that ended up on its ass in LAX was that the
Captain dropped his wallet out the window.  I was in
Frankfurt, Germany a few days later and got into a
pissing contest with one of our people about not
tethering the nosewheel during the loading process.
That is exactly what happened with our 10 and also the
Korean MD11 that was also in the file.  (Korean Air is
affectionately known in the industry as the "Gooks of
Hazzard" even though about half their pilots are
Americans).

The "Saab in the Ditch" happened here in Memphis.  I
taxied by it about an hour after it happened.  Some
kid on the night shift didn't set the brakes or chock
the aircraft.  That drainage ditch separates the
Airlink facility from our primary maintenance hanger.
It is really, really deep.

The C141 with the broken wing happened here in Memphis
as well.  It had been in maintenance and for whatever
reason, some baffles between wing tanks were closed.
All the fuel went in the outboard tanks until the wing
broke off.  It sat on the ramp like that for over a
month.  The Guard guys I work with took a lot of grief
over that one.

One of my favorites wasn't in the file.  We put an
MD11 in the Pacific a few years back at Subic Bay.  I
had an unpleasant encounter with the FO a few years
earlier.  A couple of years ago Fan and I bought a new
piano for Christmas and it came with two free tunings.
 When I called for the first tuning they ran a name by
me.  "That name sounds familiar, did she used to fly
for X?"  It was she.  "No thanks, who else do you
have."

The joke in the profession is that we have the
toughest pilots around.  You can't stab us (94
hijacking), you can't burn us (95 fire), you can't
crush us (EWR), you can't drown us (Subic).  Which
reminds me, I have training Thursday and Friday and
have to relive all this crap.

Brad

--- Mark Kaynor <mkaynor at gmail.com> wrote:

> Brad (and other pilots),
>
> I was stumbling around the web this afternoon, ran
> across this site, and
> thought of you - there are some pretty "interesting"
> aviation-related photos
> here:
>
> http://www.micom.net/oops/
>
> For instance: