[Rhodes22-list] elementary question on sail position

James Wilson jwilson22 at prodigy.net
Tue Jun 14 20:14:46 EDT 2005

The recent posts on traveler position have been very helpful.  On a simpler
level:  Even on a fairly close reach, I end up with the main (IMF) lying on
the aft lower stay.  Am I sheeting out to far?  Is this the nature of the
rigging?  Is it harmful to airflow or the sail?

Well I can't speak to whether  this is germaine to the Rhodes 22 design as I
have not been on one today.

However,  Generally on most boats the mainsail should not contact the
shrouds untill at least past a beam reach.

Now, if shroud contact before beam reach is an anomaly on the rhodes 22
design, and other rhodes sailors can comment here,  then you have to
consider why it is happenning.

Possibilities might include,  in descending rank of liklihood in my mind at
least might include;

1) inssufficient outhaul tension causing the mainsail to belly out too much.

2) Sails worn out to the point of being too difficult to shape due to a LOT
of sailing in heavy winds (Blown out)

3) Halyard tension or downhaul tension insufficient.

Likely it is more noticeable when boom is lowered?

I wouldn't be too worried about the loss of airfoil efficiency.  I would be
much more worried about sail chaffe.  If it is a design issue in the rigging
which I would be rather surprised by,  then likely best you can do is to rig
baggywinkles to the shrouds to minimize sail wear due to chafe.

Thanks, Bob F.