[Rhodes22-list] Genoa leads and sail position

Robert Quinn rjquinn at bellsouth.net
Wed Jun 15 22:51:40 EDT 2005

Kevin:  Right.  If it is a 175 (or even a 150 or less) when the winds are
piping and you want to sail close to the wind you will need to furl the sail
down a good deal (roughly jib size or smaller if the winds are really
piping) and bring the sheets inside the outer (and in some cases the lower)
stays in order to point closer to the wind.  What you are looking to do is
get the sail as flat as you can and still get enough lift to keep the boat
moving without luffing the sail.

Normally, the sheets will go through the cars and track outside the outer
stays.  As the winds pick up and things get uncomfortable (heeling
excessively) you start reefing the Genoa down until you reach a comfortable
sailing angle.  Remember for the most part the boat will get to its hull
speed quicker and maintain speed when the boat is on her lines or as close
to her lines as you can get her.  ((Note:  When sailing for the thrill of
it, a lot of folks get their kicks by getting the boat on a good heel.
There as some who are not happy until they bring water over the gunnels.
Gives you a good rush but does not necessarily mean that you are sailing
fast.))

Cheers,  Bob