[Rhodes22-list] Rappahannock Va and Melbourne Fla

Luis Guzman trpclman at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 17 09:09:25 EDT 2005

I'm in Sarasota, Florida (The Gulf coast), about 2 1/2 hours from Melbourne.

There are a number of R22s in this area. I have a 1975 Rhodes Continental, and next to my slip there is a 1984 Rhodes. I have been restoring my Rhodes and I have been sailing it. My neighbor's Rhodes is in pretty good shape and makes mine look like the ugly duckling.

I'm pretty sure that we could arrange a sail around the Sarasota Bay in either my boat or my neighbor's boat.

Luis Guzman

ed kroposki <ekroposki at charter.net> wrote:

Kevin and Bud:
I will reply to Kevin first. It is surprising that a Chesapeake
Rhodie has not responded to you. Maybe it has to do with the subject line
of your post. Many of Rhodies on this list do not read all post. But look
for names of others in there area. There are many Rhodes 22's on the
Chesapeake, most are north of you. However, there are some in your area.
By identifying your area in the subject line, eventually you will catch
their attention.
Understand that there are many Rhodies who for various reasons are
not on the Rhodes list. I estimated from my experience at the Annapolis
Boat Show that there were three Rhodes owners at the show for every Rhodes
owner who came to the show who was also on this list.

Bud,
That last paragraph applies to you. There are Rhodes 22's in
Florida. Only a few are routinely on the list. Stan from General Boats was
at the St. Petersburg boat show. He used to go to the Miami show, but that
show is not interested in the little guy market.
If you want to see a Rhodes 22 quickly, you might want to come to
South Carolina where we have several on Lake Hartwell. See:
www.sas.usace.army.mil/lakes/hartwell/

Alternatively, Stan is based in the historic coastal town of
Edenton, NC. If you visited him on a weekend, and cajoled him, he might be
able to take you out in a boat on the Albemarle Sound near the plant. FYI
see:
www.edentonmarina.com/
http://www.edenton.com/
In this last respect, remember that General Boats is a tiny
operation. Stan does not keep a fleet of boats for show. The last I knew,
he kept an old boat at his house which he has been known to sail. Sometimes
he is able to get a boat at the plant into the water to demonstrate, but do
not count on it.
By the way, the Rhodes 22 does not have tires. The trailers have
tires, but kicking them is not the same as sailing a boat. I encourage you
to visit one of us, or the maestro himself and go for a sail.

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA
Addendum: "Blue water Navy truism: There are more planes in the ocean than
submarines in the sky."
- From an old carrier sailor