[Rhodes22-list] Re: Working from the boat - equipment

Mark Kaynor mkaynor at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 13:28:03 EDT 2005

Brad,

We're using the Novatel V620. We chose that card for a couple of reasons. It
has the most common type of external antenna jack, and its antennas are
fully enclosed in the card. The other cards w/ movable antennas or dual
movable antennas may improve the signal a bit if your sitting at a desk. But
if you're in a car or a boat, there's no need for adjustable antennas since
you're moving all the time, anyway.

The amplifiers make all the difference. We got the Inteligain DBA8-19 amps
w/ their "trucker's antenna" - an additional $20 option that gives 7-12 db
gain, according to Inteligain. We tested this anchorage from as close as we
could get on land and had a marginal signal w/o the amplifier - w/ it, on
the water, we're seeing 100% signal strength. The down side is it's shared
bandwidth - so if a bunch of people start doing the same thing as us, our
bandwidth will decrease accordingly. So no one get Verizon, okay? <g>

We both have unlimited contracts - it's a bundle of money - $160 / mo for
the two of us - but we decided it was worth it to be able to spend more time
on the boat at anchor.

Mark