[Rhodes22-list] Red, Right, Returning

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Wed Jun 22 09:28:32 EDT 2005

Have we ever talked about this?

Most of us know the Red, Right, Returning Rule--but we can forget what
it means, or not know that it is not universal.

We learn the rules for our home waters, but forget how to apply them
when we have a lot of other things going on.

Channels that run parallel to the mainland usually have red on the
mainland side, but if they fork off to sea, that can switch mid course.
Also, how you apply the rules changes, depending on which side of (for
instance) Florida you are sailing, with regard to where you keep the red
marker when sailing south.  The rule for Intracoastal Channels is
actually "Red, Right, Clockwise--New England to Texas".

Watch the numbers on markers.  They increase as you approach the harbor,
which is how you can know if you are "returning", and which rule is
meant to apply.  Looking at charts before looking at markers can be
quite helpful.

Please note, also, that in many parts of the world the rule is "Green,
Right, Returning".

Bill Effros