[Rhodes22-list] Sail Numbers

Peter Thorn pthorn at nc.rr.com
Thu Jun 23 14:16:39 EDT 2005

This is an instance where having a Rhodes 22 Class Association registered
with US Sailing would be helpful.  If there were such a class association,
we could then create some rules that might be helpful.  For example, we
could regulate the size of numbers, or create a class rule saying numbers
are not required for racing, provided the boat could be easily identified by
some other means -- say the boat name in 5" high letters on the rear quarter
in contrasting colors, for example.  Or, a rule saying the boat's number
would fly from a pennant of a certain size off the stern rail.  There are
lots of ways to officially identify a boat.

If there was only one R22 in the race, then I think the race committe was
being overly technical for club racing.  You could get some colored sail
tape (sold for spinnaker repair) and place a big "X" on the main.   That
would certainly suffice if I were the Principal Race Officer -- unless
another boat used the same letter.

PT