[Rhodes22-list] Kayaks/outboard dinghies?

Richard Smith sailnut at worldnet.att.net
Mon Jun 27 10:27:11 EDT 2005

If you are seeking a tender for your Rhodes a kayak is NOT the way to go.  A
run of the mill roto-molded kayak will weigh more then 60 lbs, be difficult
to store on deck, have limited cargo capacity and be almost impossible to
enter from your Rhodes.

As a tender I recommend a hypalon, hard transom,  slat floored dingy no more
then more then 8 feet long.  This will weigh about 45/50 lbs, can be stored
deflated in the lazerette and can be towed while under way.  Such dinghy's
are difficult to row and can be powered by a 2 hp motor which when not in
use can be easily removed and mounted on the stern rail.

I presently own a 15 foot Kevlar blue water kayak that weighs 45 lbs.
Kayaking brings a different prospective to boating.  They do not replace the
experience of sailing.

Richard Smith