[Rhodes22-list] Coastal North Carolina

Nell nellwolfe at cox.net
Wed Jun 29 22:05:27 EDT 2005

Dear Mike,

I am an almost Rhodes owner (I have one of Stan's loaners whilst mine is
being completed).
I live in Greenville, NC - 21 miles from Washington, NC.
BTW, Washington, NC is referred to as "the little Washington" or the "real
Washington" as it was the 1st capital of the US.
Anyway, Washington sits on the Pamlico River, just a stone's throw from the
Pamlico Sound which connects to the Albemarle Sound, which connects to the
yada, yada, yada.
Greenville is the seat of the largest and arguably the finest healthcare
east of DUKE and Chapel Hill.
Raleigh is about 2 hours away as is Edenton as is Oriental.
There is insufficient slip space in Edenton according to Elton (Stan's
brother). Ditto the same for New Bern and Oriental.
In fact, there are a couple of dozen larger boats (sail and motor) based in
Edenton, New Bern, and Oriental that stay in Washington.
I am currently boat-sitting a 38' Sarabande for a couple who live in
Columbus, Ohio. After sailing the Southeast coast of the US as well as the
Bahamas, the owner chose Washington, NC to moor his boat.
During hurricanes, the larger boats are moved out into the river and moored
so they don't get beaten up at the docks.
There is the ritzy Washington Yacht Club just across the street from the
marina where I keep my Rhodes. The marina is called McCotter's (see
following list of marinas in the area).
Okracoke, NC is less than a day's sail from Washington.
I have a guy friend who has both a big motor boat and a 42' sailboat where
he lives near Kill Devil Hills, NC. (He spends much of his winters in the
Bahamas and part of his summers on the Chesapeake Bay.)

Broad Creek Marina	353 McCotter's Marina Rd., Washington, NC
252-946-4924 (this is the poor man's marina adjacent to McCotter's Marina)

Carolina Wind Yachting Center		411 West Main, Washington, NC
252-946-4653

Cypress Lansing Marina		Cypress Landing, Washington, NC
252-975-3955

McCotter's Marina		179 McCotter's Marina Rd., Washington, NC
252-975-2174

There is a new and rather upscale development in Chocowinity, NC (18 miles
from Greenville) that has slips and a golf course for those so inclined to
beat white balls around only to catch up with them then swat them away
again. In fact, one of the guys I work with at the hospital lives in that
development with his wife. They love it.

My daughter is a Marine Biology / Fisheries major at East Carolina
University (also located in Greenville). She works with a Ph.D. who is
nationally known for his work with local fish populations and has been
contracted to determine the environmental impact of coastal development on
water quality and fish health. I tell you this because there is a place
called Belhaven, near Bath, NC (where Sir Edward Teach aka Blackbeard the
Pirate lived) that is currently under development for condominiums, golf
communities, and marinas/yacht clubs.
Belhaven is also easily accessible from Washington, Chocowinity, etc.

Washington experiences a slight tidal influence with the water being
brackish. This is mentioned because there is much less accumulation of flora
and fauna on the hull in brackish waters. There are condos along the Pamlico
River as well.

If you are really fixed for dough you might consider Southport and Beaufort-
very picturesque towns with condos along the waterfront.

I cannot think of a better place to live than coastal North Carolina.
If you want to hear more, put another quarter in the jukebox.
Hope this helps.
Take care.

nellwolfe