[Rhodes22-list] Kedging

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Sun Mar 6 14:02:37 EST 2005

Brad,

That had something to do with my "water temperature" question of last
week.  I have stopped sailing in water so cold that it can kill me if I
wind up in it.  It's just not worth the risk.  You can kedge with the
proper anchor and a life vest if you can get into and out of the water
without killing yourself.  I gather from last week's replies that your
water is borderline for possibly killing you.  Remember, that if you
start to suffer from hypothermia, you can die even if you can get back
to your boat and get warm dry clothes.  Again, not worth the risk.

If you can get into the water without risk of dying, you secure the
kedging anchor to a life vest and swim it out.   Then you set it, and
see if you can pull the boat toward the anchor.

I don't think you were on the list when I mentioned that I am currently
carrying 7 anchors and trying to learn to use them.  They are all
different types and sizes, all smaller than the standard issue  R-22
anchor.   Everyone sizes their anchor for a huge storm on a much larger
boat--just to be on the safe side.  Then they never learn to set these
anchors, or don't regularly carry them because they are simply too big
to use on our little boats.

I have found that tiny anchors are more than sufficient for most
situations, and that they can be so small that a 10 year old can set and
retrieve them without hurting the boat.  Used in combination, these
small anchors can match the holding power of much larger anchors.  Set
in different locations, they can obviate the risk of drifting, or the
necessity for an anchor that can reliably reset.

Small kedging anchors can be thrown far enough to start  the boat
heeling, and if you have more than one, they can be "walked" from one to
the next by throwing them further out as the boat heels more and more.
I've never tried this--I just read it.  I do try different anchoring
techniques to try to learn about them when I'm not in trouble.  It's
kind of fun, and I find it interesting.

I saw the attached note recently and thought of you.

Bill Effros