[Rhodes22-list] Tack With Your Jib

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Sun Mar 6 14:43:28 EST 2005

Bill,

I saw Peter's replies and can't wait to try the things he suggests.  He
is a far more experienced sailor than I.  But I have sailed an R-22 more
than he.

Let me preface my remarks by noting that my wife is a self-described and
proud-to-be "scaredy-pants".  She despises any time the boat "tips", and
loves to sail on our R-22.  I always single hand, even when I have 1/2
dozen people on board.  It's easier to do it than to explain to others.

You needed more jib.

I tack with my jib, and I never miss a tack.  (OK, I miss one or two a
season when I'm not paying attention--but it's always my fault, and I
always know that I did wrong.)

Most people simply release the jib too soon.

Most of the heeling should be a function of the main sail.  You can let
it out, or shorten it to reduce heeling.  In gusty conditions, set it
out just far enough so that the boat doesn't heel when there is no
gust.   Reef if need be.  Then set the jib so the boat doesn't heel when
there is no gust.  The 175, which I love, will allow you to put out a
lot of jib sail low.  It catches a lot of air without inducing heel.
(By the way, I almost never lower the boom because I am more afraid of a
low swinging boom than a broach.  I sail with my pop-top up almost all
the time.)

To tack, turn into the wind without releasing the jib.  Even before the
bow has crossed the wind, the jib may get pushed to the other side of
the boat and fill with air, pulling the bow and the rest of the boat
through the tack.  Later the boom will cross.  Straighten your tiller,
then release the jib sheet, and set it on the other side.  At first this
will be a bit sloppy until you get your timing right, resulting in a
tack that succeeds, but noticeably slows down boat speed.

When the wind reaches a certain velocity it becomes impossible to tack
an R-22 (around 35kts).  Then the wind  is pushing against so much
freeboard you can't make the bow cross the wind, no matter what you do
short of turning on the motor, and you must jibe.  Best to practice
jibing when the wind is substantially below 35kts.  With an IMF sail it
is possible to jibe in high speed wind by pulling in the sail, and then
pulling it back out again after the wind has crossed your stern.

I generally don't sail with my wife when the true wind speed exceeds 15
kts.  It just makes her uncomfortable.

Bill Effros