[Rhodes22-list] Surfing not sailing

Jim White jdwhite at utpa.edu
Mon Mar 7 19:36:18 EST 2005

Hey Bob
It's not so much the northerners as it is "Texas week" (next week) when all
of the Texas schools are off, as well as local area high schools. Man, it
sure gets crazy! We learn to get everything done early in the day while the
breakers are still crashed out. Some of us get to leave for spring break,
take vacations to Mexico and such... A couple of years ago, I got home late
one Friday evening (around 2030), and the traffic was backed up through
Laguna heights, about 3 or 4 miles from the only causeway. A neon DPS sign
read "2 hour wait to cross to South Padre"...I figured I'd take a little
snooze in the wallyworld parking lot in Port Isabel, maybe try it late at
night when the traffic had thinned some (right)...
I woke up around 0030 or so, and there seemed to be a break in the traffic,
so I nosed the jeep in....finally made it across the causeway and back home
around 430am...

Surf was good, but boy am I out of shape after a winter of doing almost
nothing....
jw
Jim White
Le Menagerie