[Rhodes22-list] Wally, did you go sailing yesterday?

Wally Buck tnrhodey at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 9 07:57:09 EST 2005

Bill,

My temp vang was a cheap fix. I would not recomend for anyone else. A couple
of times when racing in high winds I would resort to my piece of crap vang.
It is not ideal and is not the easiest to adjust but it will keep the boom
from raising up on runs and help flatten sail for upwind.

Version 1 - I had a single piece of line that I tied to the bottom of the
mast just above pop top slider. The line ran about a 2 or 3 inches with a
bowline on the bight creating a loop. The running end continued up and I
just wraped over the mast twice, came back down about a foot. I then tied
truckers hitch with the running end going through the bowline loop and
backup through the loop created by the truckers hitch then back down again
through the bowline loop. I secured at mast cleat. It worked and was a cheap
fix

Version2 - Everything was the same but I put a removeable block on the
bottom of the mast and no longer wrap line around boom. This eliminates the
truckers hitch. If you keep the bowline tied you can remove and reinstall
with just a simple lash at bottom of mast.

I know, what a cheap piece of crap. I don't mess with a vang much but under
certain conditions it was worth it to me to come up with something. I did
not want to spend a bunch of money on a vang. One of these days I will come
across a good deal and buy one. I sail a bunch with poptop up so I really
don't use vang much.

Wally