[Rhodes22-list] Piano Stories

Steve Alm salm at mn.rr.com
Thu Mar 10 15:55:59 EST 2005

Brad,

I use a Yamaha digital on my gig and I practice on a digital at home even
though I have an upright in the living room.  I like to be able to turn down
the volume late at night when the Mrs. is sleeping, or even go under the
headphones if I want it loud yet silent in the room.  I can also change the
sound and have it be an organ, strings or anything.  And they're portable,
less expensive and don't take up much room. That's the good news.

Obviously there's no tuning needed, but keys break, electrical contacts get
dirty, drinks get spilled and short out the circuits, and they have
touch-sensitivity pads that wear out so eventually you can't play from loud
to soft--only medium.  We put a lot of hard hours on the ones at work and
I'm on a first name basis with the guys at the repair shop.  The average
repair is about $175 for cleaning or broken keys.  Sometimes it's a lot
more.

You will never break a key on your Yamaha baby grand.  Nor will you ever
have any electrical problems or touch-sensitivity issues.  Being the
heavy-handed rocker that I am, I like to make those piano strings really
bark and the only thing I've ever broken on a real piano is a string or two.
Years ago I was playing a real grand on stage and was heavily rocking out on
some Jerry Lee Lewis stuff and at the end of the song I karate chopped the
last note down in the bass and snapped a string which came spitting out from
under the lid and dangled there right in front of the audience.  The crowd
went berserk.  It was one of my finest moments!

The overall sound quality of a real piano is superior.  The sounds that they
load into the digitals these days are quite good but then you introduce
extra variables such as amps, speakers, etc.  Many home models have built-in
speakers that almost never satisfy me.  At work, we use a big, professional
PA system with Crown amps, JBL speakers, Yamaha mixing board and
third-octave Eqs.  At home I play through a small but expensive Altec
Lansing speaker system.

Next, there's what's called the "action."  That's how the keys feel and
respond when you play and nothing beats the action of a real grand piano.
By the end of the week, my hands ache from playing on the digitals.  It's
sort of like the difference between jogging on the sidewalk or jogging on
the grass--not that I know much about jogging.  8-)

Finally, a real piano, especially a grand has an elegance to it that makes a
wonderful addition to any home in my opinion.  Imagine a digital piano with
wires and speakers and such sitting there on your new bamboo floor.  No
comparison!  Your friend Ron may love his Kawai, but maybe one of the
reasons is that he lives in Florida where the humidity tends to cause
problems for real pianos.  If it were me, I'd keep the grand.  I might have
to wait until I win the lottery, but I know I'll own one some day.

Slim