[Rhodes22-list] Anchor Chain Question

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Mon Mar 14 19:04:01 EST 2005

Bill,

I've got the Fortress FX11, and I think it's a terrific anchor.  I also
have the smallest Guardian anchor, which I store in a pouch,
unassembled, and I've been very happy with that one also.

I think those people know a lot about anchors, and I would be inclined
to follow their recommendations.

I have several lines with differing amounts of chain on each, and
several with no chain at all.  I find I always go for the no chain at
all, because I've never had any trouble with it, and it's so much easier
to handle.

The trick to anchoring (as with so many other things) is practice.  Try
setting your anchor when it's not critical.  See if you have enough
navigation skill to be able to determine if your anchor is dragging.

When it's really blowing you shouldn't be on our boats in the first
place.  Anchoring and praying is not the answer.  If you are trapped in
a situation like this, and can't get to shore, head for open water and
heave-to.  Practice heaving-to, too.  Work with the elements, not
against them.

The guy who developed those anchors recommends setting 2 at 180 degrees
apart and tying both off on the bow.  Then neither one will have to
reset if current or wind shifts.  Differing lengths of chain will  not
matter, longer scope can be set because the boat will rotate in a much
smaller arc relative to other boats.

Avoid anchor overkill.  That goes for the chain, too.

Bill Effros