[Rhodes22-list] Anchor Chain Question

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Mon Mar 14 22:47:54 EST 2005

Peter,

As mentioned previously, my boat is on a mooring when it's in the
water--a 300 lb. mushroom anchor with properly sized ground tackle
pulled and inspected once every 3 years--which is a harbor master
condition for all boats in our harbor, so I know the anchor and tackle
will hold, and everyone else's is going to hold, too.

One night, out of curiosity, I decided to stay on board when I knew a
good blow was coming through, just to see what it would be like.  It is
not an experience I ever intend to repeat.

The wind was in the 30 kt. range.  The harbor is sheltered, so the waves
never get much beyond 1-2 feet, but the tidal range is 9 feet, so a lot
of water funnels in and out at a pretty good clip.  Once the decision is
made to stay on board, its a very very bad idea to change your mind.

Intellectually I knew the boat had been through these conditions many
times in the past without incident--the only difference was that I was
on board.  No pop-top enclosure.  Everything battened down as if I were
not on board.

The boat creaked and strained all night long.  If anything gave way, it
was going to give way with a "snap"--and I was quite sure I didn't want
to be on board if that happened.  I didn't think I was going to die, and
I thought nothing would give way that night...probably.  But I was not a
happy sailor; I got very little sleep; and I couldn't formulate any
reasonable plan for what I might do if something happened.  I just hoped
nothing would happen, and nothing did.

If I had set anchors, I couldn't have checked them. (I surely would have
set multiple anchors.)  That would have added to my anxiety.  The boat
has fouled the mushroom anchor in the past and lifted it right out of
the bottom.  I checked it for fouling before I went below.

I have heaved-to (hoven-to?) under similar conditions, and it was a
delightful piece of cake.  I ate a casual meal, listened to my stereo,
and could sail my boat exactly where I wanted it to be for hours on
end.  My pond is big enough (Long Island Sound) so that I can stay off
lee shores for enough time to catch a little sleep.

If I ever see conditions like those coming again I will surely get off
my boat if I can.  If I can't, I will find open water and heave to.

Bill