[Rhodes22-list] Heaving To

Bob Weber ruba1811 at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 16 10:23:55 EST 2005

Slim and Bill, First let me recommend a great book "Storm Tactics" by Lin
and Larry Pardy.  The whole book talks about Heaving To under differnt
configurations.  I have had about 3 chances to pratice differnt
configurations.  So far I have found the Genny setting to be Reefed to where
the clew is right against the outter stay and tight.  The main works best on
the second reef (about a little less than half main) just off the leeward
stay and the tiller about a foot from hard over.  In 15 to 20 this gave me
about 1 to 1.5 knot drift directly downwind with the nose at about 45
degrees to the wind.  I was not completely satisfied with the result but I
could duplicate it in a pinch and I would be better than being at the mercy
of the storm.  I will keep futzing around to get perfect results.  I am
inclined to think that the R-22 will ride better with a storm trysail for a
main (You IMF people have an advantage here).  I am also not sure of the
centerboard setting.  In my experiment I pulled it most of the way up to get
that downwind drift I wanted.  Hope it helps.  If anyone has had better
experience heeving to Jump in.  Bob