[Rhodes22-list] Anchor Chain Question

Wally Buck tnrhodey at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 20 21:53:28 EST 2005

Roger,

Your response suggests you did not read my posts. i suggested in two
different emails that Bill should bring chain when he trailered his boat. I
understand why chain is used. I have had anchors drag before but not on my
stretch of the TN. The sticky clay and mud bottom allows one to set an
anchor that will hold fast. It also creates a mess that I opt not to deal
with.

A couple of points.....no the mud and clay does not always wash off with a
couple of dunks. More than once I had to walk the chain aft, hang over the
side and brush the anchor and chain clean. It is much easier not to have to
clean chain. I don't want to go sailing with my anchor chain soaking in a
bucket either. Do you really sail around with your anchor chain in a bucket
of water soaking?

You say the anchor ALWAYS sets and holds better with chain. Well my anchor
doesn't drag in the conditions I described. How can something hold better
than that? It either drags or it doesn't.

Your comment regarding insurance gave me a chuckle. The only reason I have
insurance is my marina requires boat insurance. When I overnight the coves
are usaully empty. If there is another boat close it is usally my friend in
his Sea Pearl. He doesn't use chain either! Yeah I know we are breaking the
rules; we also anchor off the stern!

When I first got the Rhodes I really thought we would trailer more.  But
sometimes the grass isn't greener. I found out the nicest sailing waters
within at least 500 miles is the place I call home. My lake is 75 miles long
(locks at each end)with at least 40 miles wide enough for sailing. If one
wants to you could cruise for hundreds of miles and come out at the Gulf. We
have safe anchorages always close. We enjoy year round sailing with mountain
views, a huge variety of bird life, decent fishing, and not much of a bug
problem. I meet people all of the time that drive or cruise hundreds of
miles to enjoy my little lake. Bill sails about 80 miles upriver from me. I
was just passing on my experience.

I have anchored in the waters I commented on. You have not. But thanks for
letting my know how reckless I am. :-)

Wally