[Rhodes22-list] Anchor Chain Question

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Thu Mar 24 07:41:59 EST 2005

Slim,

A similar passage exists in later editions of Chapman.  My problem with
it is the shifting explanations for the function of the chain.  The
catenary theory is only valid for all chain rode, and cannot be applied
to 6 feet of chain on 180 feet of rode.  The strength theory makes no
sense if you attach the chain to line--that won't make the line
stronger.  The lying on the bottom theory doesn't work if you have to
pull on the rode to set the anchor--obviously you pull the chain off the
bottom, and the rode goes in a straight line to the bow--at exactly the
same angle as it would if it were an all line rode.  My anchors don't
bury so completely they take part of the rode with them.  My line comes
up clean.  I've never seen any chafe on my line, although I have seen
rust on my chain.

I've never seen a claim that additional chain will improve Danforth
anchor setting on weedy bottoms.

So why chain?  I think the real reason is that everyone else does
it..."the consensus appears to be...".

Bill Effros