[Rhodes22-list] Re: Cambridge speakers

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Fri Mar 25 10:47:49 EST 2005

Tim,

Here is a reply to your question from 1999:

"I use a Cambridge Soundworks computer sub-woofer speaker system connected to
portable output devices.  The system runs on 12 volts, stores in its own
carrying case, and puts out more sound than anything I've ever heard on a
small boat.

"I keep the system between the cabin step and the ice box.  It fits exactly
while still allowing the ice box door to open fully.  There is a zipper
compartment on top in which I store portable devices with long output cables
so I can run them from my captain's chair while single handing.

"When I'm feeling lazy I leave the system where it's stored and just crank up
the power.  For excellent stereo separation I mount the small speakers on
the pop-top tubes using Helm clamps.  (The speakers have very long
connecting wires -- I could put one in the bow and the other in the stern.)

"I take the system off the boat during the winter months."

The system would last forever under these conditions.  Since then, I have removed the system from the carrying case, and permanently routed the wires to the pop-top tubes, so that the speakers face backwards towards the cockpit space.  The subwoofer fits in the tray that slides under the cockpit.

I found that I tinkered and fussed with the boat 12 months out of the year, even though I could not sail more than 8 months.  But if I am waxing, or fixing, or just hanging out it's still great to crank up some music.  I have solar panels on the boat and recommend them for keeping the batteries topped off.  I keep my batteries on board and hooked up all year, so my music system is always available.

The solar panels keep the batteries in good shape all the time.  Mine last for 5-6 years, and the extra long use will pay for the solar panels.  I was on my boat 2 days ago, and my batteries were at 13.45 volts--very healthy.

Bill Effros