[Rhodes22-list] Caulking Windows

Lou Rosenberg lsr3 at MAIL.nyu.edu
Mon Mar 28 11:54:32 EST 2005

   Sheldon,
  I have recently (last fall) installed 3 new Beckson portlights on my '81 R22.
  Beckson salesman recommended I use  a DOW brand sealant which was
expensive around
  $11. for a reg size gun cartridge.  I have not seen it sold anywhere
including online boatbuilding suppliers.  Beckson sold the DOW
sealant to me.    That tube lasted for all 3 ports- when only used
for the rebedding of  the frames, inside and out.  I seems to have a
very good elasticity to it and comes in a white and black.
  When i removed my old ports which were cracked, they were basically
a one pc design and there was so way to remove the inside frame
without destroying the entire unit.  I used West System epoxy mixed
with Colloidal Silica to a mayonaise consistency over styrofoam ,used
as a core material, between the outer and inner walls of my cabin.
  From removal and clean up to re inserting,  cutting and dryfitting
then epoxing and final installation,  the new ports took about 2 days
per port.
( 2 long sticky, sweaty, acetone smelling, days!)
  and I 'll have to do it all again for my last 3 in a few weeks!.
  good luck

Lou

Sheldon,