[Rhodes22-list] Not About Sailing - About Advance Directives!

William P. Barry, III wp.barry at att.net
Tue Mar 29 23:40:03 EST 2005

I understand how the Terry Shiavo case has people thining about and planning
ahead for advanced directives. I agree that they are something that should
be discussed and written out should something happen, however I also would
like to point out that just because something is written as to what you
would like to happen, it does not necessarily mean it will. As an emergency
healthcare providor i have been in almost a half dozen situations over the
past year that I have had to make strong moral and legal decisions over with
no time to think about it. These were primarilly in cases of DNR orders for
CPR needed. In the state of New Jersey if i were to come into a scene of an
unresponsive person and CPR was needed I am required by law to provide full
care. The ONLY case in which I can legally honor advanced directives are if
the ORIGINAL DNR is physically presented to me and in my hands. It must be
less than 1 year old to date, signed by the person themselves, a witness,
and a doctor, and notarized. If any or one of this criteria is not met the
family has the right to sue and more than likely legally win. I understand
that in the situation of a 94 year old that drifted away in the middle of
the night from a long term illness and suffering with no mental awareness
that it would be morally wrong in my opinion to go through the entire
process of trying to revive them. However this is a distinct example in
which from the legal point of view i had to honor the state laws and do
everything in my power to revive them. This includes going against the
wishes of the present family members. There was a DNR present, however it
was 4 years old and unable to be renewed do to the fact that the patient was
no longer mentally able to make her own legal decisions. Myself and my crew
ultimately had to make the decision whether to go against state guidelines
and possibly having the ability to open ourselves up for a lawsuit, or do
what we believed to be morally right and let nature take its course. We
eventually ended up following state protocol, continuing CPR and ultimately
reviving the patient. This was one CPR save that i am not sure was one
deserving of award and credit. As a crew our decision was based on the fact
that if the family decided anywhere between the time of the incident and 7
years from that point on, that the loss of their mother was due to our
decision not to initiate full revival efforts, the state law would come
first in the decision that we were wrong.

Will Barry