[Rhodes22-list] Outer Banks Adventure of 2005 -- Day 2 of 5

William E. Wickman wewickman at duke-energy.com
Mon May 9 18:26:51 EDT 2005

Day 2:  To Cape Lookout or Bust

The hotel was a good idea.  We awoke refreshed, and after filling up on a
good breakfast, drove the 28 miles (for the third time) to Oriental to
launch.  The ramp in Oriental is fantastic.  It is wide enough to launch
two boats at once and has a floating dock on each side.  The water around
the launch site is very protected.  The only negative is the ominous
presence of a wrecked sailboat half submerged in the shallows across the
channel from the launch ramp.

Rigging the boat took a bit longer than I thought (having to raise the mast
twice after the forestay got caught behind the wind vane).  But alas, we
finally splashed the boat, and at 10:30am were motoring out to the Neuse
River.  The wind was at our back and the sun was shinning so we ran across
the river wing and wing.  Life was good.

We entered the ICW a short time later, lowered sail, and began the 4 hour
trip to Beaufort Inlet.  This quiet time on the ICW was really rather nice.
It was easy to navigate, and gave me time to check all the boat’s systems,
secure the turnbuckles, and make sure everything was ship shape.  We didn’t
pass any commercial traffic; only other pleasure cruisers the whole way
down to Beaufort…with one exception.  As we were peacefully motoring, we
both noticed what looked like four identical buildings several miles down
the waterway.  Problem was, the buildings got bigger faster than they
should have.  Then we noticed a wake behind them.  Soon we recognized what
were five military PT sized craft traveling side by side, a mere few feet
of space between each, traveling at a high rate of speed right at us.  Each
boat was filled with marines in full combat gear.  Obviously, we yielded
right of way to them and braced for what we expected to be a huge wake.
They gave a friendly wave as they passed (not slowing down), but because
they were on a plane there was very little wake.  You just never know what
you are going to see on the ICW.

I’ve been told that the ICW in the Morehead City/Beaufort area is busy with
commercial traffic so we kept a sharp lookout as we approached.  Luck was
with us as there was nothing more that a few pleasure sailboats, and
dolphins!  It was very strange to see dolphins in such an industrialized
area.  We took pictures anyway.

Weather was still clear and beautiful with 10-15kt winds out of the South
and seas 2-3 ft. offshore.  But, before heading out into the great
Atlantic, I wanted to top off the fuel tank.  I was overly conservative on
fuel.  In addition to the 6 gallon gas tank, I carried another 6 gallon
spare tank plus 2 gallons of emergency fuel.  We stopped at Finz fuel dock
in Beaufort where they were very friendly, even after only selling us 2
gallons of gas.  I couldn’t believe it.  We burned only two gallons after 4
1/2 hours of motoring.  Maybe their pump was not measuring right. I have
the 9.9hp Yamaha high thrust motor.  Well worth its weight for the power
that we would need later.

At last we stuck our nose out into the Atlantic and sailed on what was to
be the best few hours of sailing on the entire trip.  It was a broad reach
all the way to Cape Lookout.  We arrived a couple of hours before sunset
which gave us time to motor around a bit before anchoring to check out what
is a very large natural harbor.  The only boats there were two other
sailboats and a large Coast Guard cutter.  After setting anchor it was time
to break out the Coronas and watch the sunset.  I know it wasn’t the beer
because we had only two apiece when we looked out in the dusk and saw what
looked like a human head popping up out of the water periodically.  It had
to be a mermaid!  Actually, I think it was a loggerhead turtle.  A very
large loggerhead turtle.  We resisted notifying the Coast Guard cutter, and
instead had a couple more Coronas.

Cape Lookout is an absolutely beautiful spot.  If you ever cruise anywhere
near this area you absolutely must make the trip out if weather permits.
We were there only a short time, but it turned out to be my favorite place.
I can easily see spending a couple of days there exploring the beaches and
lighthouse.  But we were on a mission that required us leaving at first
light.  Sailing Buddy was not too happy about this.

Attached pictures show dolphins in the ICW near Beaufort Inlet, Beaufort
Inlet looking out toward the ocean, and a sunset at Cape Lookout

(See attached file: beaufortdolphin.jpg)(See attached file:
beaufortinlet.jpg)(See attached file: lookoutsunset.jpg)