[Rhodes22-list] New Owners of a Rhodes 22

Nell nellwolfe at cox.net
Tue May 10 00:11:35 EDT 2005

Welcome.

The only suggestion I have to offer is to warn you away from EVER!!!
attempting to travel through Indian River Inlet on your Rhodes.
I grew up in Rehoboth Beach and boated with my dad in the Rehoboth Bay,
Delaware Bay, and the Atlantic Ocean.
My father foolishly decided to cross from Rehoboth Bay to the ocean through
Indian River Inlet when the tide was going out and the strong on shore wind
was blowing. A small craft advisory was posted and the wave frequency was
pushing 10 sec. The effect was the development of a rip tide current.
Despite using the force of the 90 horsepower Evinrude outboard motor, the
boat was fully submerged when it hit the wall of water produced from the
wind / tide. I saw full 5 gallon gas tanks tied down with bungee cords
floating inside our boat and level with the water surrounding us! We
survived to tell the story but to this day I am not sure just how.
Enjoy sailing and take heed from our near fatal lesson.

Yes, my dad was a fool for even being on the water under those conditions. I
was all of 12 or 13 so I can beg innocence for being there. Regardless of
all of that, Indian River Inlet has claimed many a life. Make friends with
some of the Coast Guard folks that travel those waters. They will ditto my
warning to you.

nellwolfe