[Rhodes22-list] Outer Banks Adventure -- Day 4 of 5

Peter Thorn pthorn at nc.rr.com
Thu May 12 22:01:19 EDT 2005

Bill,

No true adventure is complete without meeting adversity's challenge.  So
now, I guess your's is truly a great adventure.  Congratulations on
surviving your de-steering mishap and overcoming the grounding with your
perseverance and wits!  Thank you also for taking the time and effort to
chronicle this for us.  It is a great storey.

I am wondering about a few things:  Where exactly did the rudder fail?
After reading about day 4, I  inspected Raven's ('88) rudder.  The pintles
on the rudder head have a single through bolt (forward) and, on each side
(aft), machine screws into the plastic cheeks.  The latter does not encroach
into the gap between the plastic cheeks.  Is this the same setup on your
boat and, in your now seasoned opinion, is there a "beefing up" preventative
maintenance issue that perhaps others should address on their boats?  Did
the through bolt snap?  Was that the cause of the problem?  I presume the
gudgeons (the parts on the transom) did not fail.  Does anyone know - how
can you determine if a bolt if about to fail?

Do you know about the BoatUS Trailering Club and do you carry their
insurance?  If so, did you consider calling BoatUS on VHF 16 when your
grounding happened?   In our limited two years of cruising experience, that
insurance has paid for itself each year with highway flat tires and  "stuck
over ramp edge" towing services.  So far I haven't needed help on the water
(knock on wood).  However, I understand they are quite good.  Not exactly
sure what a service call costs - I think they pay the first $150.

Can't wait for your next issue.  Thanks again for writing it up.

PT