[Rhodes22-list] Bill's Rudder Issues

William E. Wickman wewickman at duke-energy.com
Fri May 13 11:53:12 EDT 2005

Ed,
Regarding the rudder, I don't think that Rhodes owners have anything to
worry about.  Mine was a unique situation.  None of the parts failed per
se. , just the two screws that held the lower pintle to the rudderhead.  If
your boat does not have screws you are in good shape.  If it does, then you
might consider using through bolts instead of screws.  I sent my rudderhead
to Stan so can't take any pictures right now.

One of the pictures I posted shows the Cape Lookout lighthouse at sunrise.
Cape Lookout is a really cool place, and comparatively easy to get to if
the weather is calm.  Cape Lookout was actually our first night's
anchorage.  The harbormaster's office that you mention, the building with
the flag pole in front,  is actually the post office.

Bill W.

|---------+---------------------------------->
|         |           "ed kroposki"          |
|         |           <ekroposki at charter.net>|
|         |           Sent by:               |
|         |           rhodes22-list-bounces at r|
|         |           hodes22.org            |
|         |                                  |
|         |                                  |
|         |           05/13/2005 09:55 AM    |
|         |           Please respond to The  |
|         |           Rhodes 22 mail list    |
|         |                                  |
|---------+---------------------------------->
  |       To:       "'The Rhodes 22 mail list'" <rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org>                                                     |
  |       cc:                                                                                                                    |
  |       Subject:  [Rhodes22-list] Bill's Rudder Issues                                                                         |

Bill:
             We are all interested in your rudder issue.  Did you happen to
take
any pictures of the part that failed?  We would all be interested in seeing
your design to compare with ours.
             I have traditional stainless steel Gudgeons and pintles, but I
will
have to see how they are attached.
             By the way, with all your pictures, did you happen to see a
lighthouse on Cape Lookout?  As I recall, there used to be one.
             I also noticed that when you anchored that first night, it was
straight off the harbormaster's office.
             After your visit to the museum, did you consider adding a top
sail
to your boat?
             As of your last post, it was day 4 of 5.  We are waiting....

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA