[Rhodes22-list] Outer Banks Adventure -- Day 5 of 5 -- The final installment

Rik Sandberg sanderico at earthlink.net
Sun May 15 09:17:02 EDT 2005

Bill,

What an excellent story. Good to hear you and sailing buddy came through essentially unscathed.

Now I'm going to say something I have learned on days I have been out in winds up to 40 knots, but I don't want you to think I'm pickin at you, because I understand you were having trouble with your rudder and all. But, for the next time it gets rough and the rudder is in one piece, keep this in mind. I have found that our R-22 before as well as our Flicka now, make lousy motor boats. Under motor alone, they roll around in a chop something awful. When you leave enough sail up to keep your boat loaded like it would be normally under sail, even though you are essentially motoring, your boat will cut through those waves like she was built for the job and all that rolling, just won't happen. She'll be much easier to handle and a ton more comfortable.

I see so many folks out there that drop all sail and go to the motor when the going gets a little rough. It's kind of a shame really, because they come in all beat up with the idea that sailing in any wind is just too hard. When in reality, had they reefed their sails a bit and then fired up their motor, the day probably wouldn't have seemed all that tough.

Just this last March we anchored out on KY Lake and woke up the next morning to find cold, rain and the wind blowing the tops of the 3 foot chop (25, gusting to 35). I put the first reef in the mains'l left the jib rolled up and had a not necessarily pleasant, but relatively smooth ride back to the marina under motor power simply by staying off the wind enough to keep the mains'l full.

The only time I use the motor by itself anymore is if it's too calm for the sails to do any good.

I hope Bill, that you will continue to write about your adventures as they happen. You have a good way with words. :-)

Rik