[Rhodes22-list] NOAA weather privatized?

Mark Kaynor mkaynor at gmail.com
Thu May 19 15:17:28 EDT 2005

Slim,

Hoo boy. Another one that's a bit tricky to explain w/ out speaking Geek.
Like they say, it's all Geek to me....

XML stands for Extensible Markup Language - it's a markup language (kind of,
but not really like HTML), that's primarily used to describe and contain
data for publishing on the WWW. Unlike HTML, however, which uses predefined
tags, the programmer defines XML tags, making it very powerful for handling
data - like weather or Amazon or eBay, or insurance info, etc. I know that
sounds a bit obtuse, so I did a quick Google search and came up w/ this site
which probably says it a bit better:
http://www.w3schools.com/xml/xml_whatis.asp

And here: http://www.htmlgoodies.com/beyond/xml/article.php/3473531

Mark