[Rhodes22-list] Re: Commitment to war

R22RumRunner at aol.com R22RumRunner at aol.com
Fri May 20 17:15:53 EDT 2005

Herb and all,

Neither the body count or the number in country had anything to do  with our
commitment or lack thereof in Vietnam. When a soldier is being fired  upon and
has to radio for permission to return fire, that's a lack of  commitment.
Remember, we didn't have cell phones in those days and military  radio's, as good
as they were, often couldn't contact anyone. I was with an  armored unit in I
Corps (DMZ area) from 1970 to 1971 and saw a lot of strange  stuff, but
having to ask for permission to return fire is the one thing that  really burned my
butt. Sometimes we just didn't ask for permission and pleaded  no radio
contact when questioned after the fact. It was easier and saved our  butts on many
an occasion.
The one thing that concerns me when these discussions come up on the list  is
that I doubt that many people on either side of the issue know what happens
to the human body when it is hit with a fifty caliber round or a grenade. Or,
when a RPG hits a tank and burns through the armament and blows up inside the
 tank turning those bodies into chipped beef. War isn't pretty people. Part
of my  duties while in Vietnam were to identify bodies at the morgue when they
were  brought in from the field. I still have nightmares about my experiences,
and  don't talk about them very often. The decision to go to war has to be
taken very  seriously. People talking about body counts like your counting cord
wood makes  me sick. Take a walk through a veterans hospital sometime and meet
some of the  walking dead. Your thoughts on war will change, I guarantee it.
War isn't good  for any living thing.
Time to step off the soap box and mix a drink. Coke has a new Diet Coke  made
with Splenda. No more Nutrasweet poisoning. Yeah!

Rummy