[Rhodes22-list] Re: Commitment to war

Philip Esteban 3drecon at comcast.net
Sat May 21 18:59:31 EDT 2005

     I, for one, appreciate your (Saroj's) sentiment.  To all you fellows
who saved our country after the Pearl Harbour attack (in whichever theatre
you fought), you have my undying gratitude.  It is you from the two World
Wars, Korea and Vietnam who inspired me to the military service from the
time I was 10.  Though I am a veteran of the Vietnam era, I was a US Marine
during that time (1972).  Later, while in college I served in the
Connecticut Army National Guard (responding to at least two major natural
disasters) and finally joined the Army active duty list after I was
commissioned in 1982.  When Mr. Clinton decided we didn't really need a
military in the mid '90's my career was cut short.  My 2002 Christmas
present from Uncle Sam were orders to active duty, where I have been ever
since.
    Though I did not compleatly agree with the President's decision (I could
expound on my reasons but it would be way too long an e-mail) to invade
Iraq, it was my duty to respond (I could have gotten out of it).  In fact,
Iraq did have weapons of mass destruction.  Mustard agent, VX (Nerve) agent
and the facilities to manufacture them are WMD.  Iraq had a history of using
these agents on innocents as well as enemies.  If Iran and North Korea have
nuclear capability, how long before Saddam obtained them?  Saddam also would
give any suicide bomber's family $25,000.00.  Iraq as a threat is a threat
to the world's oil supply.  A threat to the world's oil supply is a threat
to the US.  Iran is a threat only in as much as it will try to export its
brand of radical Islam.  Their constitution does not allow for territorial
expansion and except for disputed drilling rights in the Black Sea they have
no territorial designs on their neighbours.  Their design is to prevent the
insideous infiltration into Iran of "western" decadence (that would include
the introduction of Christianity).  Of course their repudiation of Israel
(mainly in solidarity with their "Palestinian Brothers") is another matter.
Africa is a tragedy, but, like Kosovo, it holds nothing in the US interest
and we should not sacrifice our children over it.
    A mullah in Saudi Arabia was exhoriating people to go "bomb the
infidels".  He said it was the duty of every good Muslim to become a suicide
bomber.  His son took him to heart and joined the terrorists and trained to
become a bomber.  When his father, the mullah found out, he petitioned the
Saudi royal family to have him arrested and put into protective custody.  It
seems what's sauce for the goose isn't necessarily sauce for the gander.
    By the way, I mentioned Palestinians.  60% of Palestinians are Muslim
(Leaving approximately 40% as Christian); 100% of the Palestinian suicide
bombers are Muslim.  My family fled the Middle East (they are Christian)
around the turn of the last century when our Muslim brothers under the
Ottoman Empire would come to each town in Lebanon and hang 40 Christian men
(14 to 60 years old).  My mother's family was slaughtered by Muslim
extemists once around the turn of the 19th to 20th century and again in the
1970 and 1980s (those who chose to stay or couldn't leave).

PHILIP A. ESTEBAN
LTC, MI
USAR (Mobilized)