[Rhodes22-list] Birthday Story

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Sun May 22 16:01:16 EDT 2005

Happy Birthday, Rummy!

I've been meaning to tell you this birthday story for a number of years:

My 50th birthday was a glorious sailing day.  Blue skies; warm but not
hot; nice breeze -- in short, a perfect day for a sail, but for the fact
that we were having a backyard birthday barbecue.  Notwithstanding my
obligations, it was such a great day that I convinced my wife I could be
trusted to take a short sail on my Sunfish, and return in time to
perform all of my expected duties.

When I hit the water, it was perfect!  I sailed all over the place,
carefully noting the time.  I brought along a Knotstick -- a calibrated
tube with a spring inside, attached to a 25 foot long rubber band,
attached to a metal and plastic piece that is dragged through the
water behind the vessel.  The calibrated tube shows your exact speed.

I had a ball!  I was doing 4-5-6-7 knots -- and when you're that close
to the water it feels like you're doing a million miles an hour.  But
finally, I could see by the old watch on the wrist, it was time to pack
it in.

I looked around to make sure there were no boats nearby, and then tucked
the tiller under my knee, using both hands to retrieve and coil the long
rubber band.  Just as I was about to pull the metal and plastic piece on
board, some son-of-a-bitch in a power boat cut across my bow, nearly
capsizing the Sunfish.

I threw everything in my hands into the air, grabbed the tiller, grabbed
the sheet, steadied the boat, swore for a while, and then regained my
focus and resumed concentrating on my mission.

I was still sailing toward the boat ramp, and was about a mile away.  I
looked under my sail again, and there were no boats around, except for
some kids anchored 100 yards off shore, a half-mile from the inlet to my
boat ramp.

I tucked the tiller under my knee, and started gathering the rubber band
again.  I had just stowed away the Knotstick, when I heard a lot of
giggling.  I looked under my sail, and instantly understood I had sailed
way off course, directly toward the anchored boat.

By that time, I was maybe 50 feet away from the other boat.  There were
four gorgeous girls on board, giggling, and one guy with a camera.  In
my honor, the girls were dressed in nothing but their birthday suits.

It was an outdoor photo shoot!  Something I had dreamed of stumbling
across since I was an adolescent.  Someone on their boat must have said
"let's give the old guy a thrill" and they all struck poses, and waved
as I passed by, not 10 feet from their boat.  I waved back.  Not a word
was spoken, but there was a lot of laughter on both boats.

I have had a stupid grin on my face from that day till this, every time
I think of that birthday sail.  I honestly believe that was God's
birthday gift to me, although I'll never know what I did to deserve it.

Bill Effros