[Rhodes22-list] Internet from your boat?

brad haslett flybrad at yahoo.com
Mon May 23 09:33:02 EDT 2005

Mark & Bill

I took a look at the Verizon site and that may just be
the ticket!  Last year a buddy went with me on a trip
to the lake and he lost his Verizon signal most of the
way and had spotty coverage while on the lake while my
Cingular performed flawlessly.  However, I'm going to
"borrow" his phone and see if the coverage has
improved.  We had Sprint for two years and it worked
OK provided you climbed half-way up a transmitter
tower, wrapped your head in aluminum foil, and stuck
your arms out like Mr. Bean.

The existing marine satellite systems rely on
gyro-stabalized attennas, are quite expensive and
bulky.  But for most of us, cell phone coverage would
work just fine.  Boeing has developed airborne
internet access and while the development was slowed
by 9/11, it is now becoming available for both
airliners and general aviation.  With the introduction
of the Very Light Jet market in the next year or so,
the price will come down as the volume of consumers go
up.  Right now its still expensive. The FAA MUST
update their communication and separation technology
to handle the expected traffic increase and have some
works in progress, but then this is the Federal
government afterall. The advertised speeds for Verizon
are about the same as Boeing's service which uses
Imarsat, same as the marine systems.

Actually, we've had satcomm onboard our aircraft for
about ten years but use it for datalink only because
of the cost.  I ran into a friend of mine at DFW a
couple of months ago that had just shut an engine down
on approach because of severe vibration.  He called
back to Global Operations Command to report the
incident and was told they already knew about it.  The
jet had downlinked to maintenance fifteen minutes
earlier that it was suffering from an incipient engine
problem and MX was monitoring it.  Thanks for the
heads-up guys!

What my broker buddy wants to do is be able to accept
calls from clients while on the boat and look up their
portfolio and current prices.  That may take two
phones, we'll have to look into that.  He trades very
little for himself or his clients so occasional access
to the net would probably suffice.  Personally, I find
myself turning my cell phone off more and more while
on the boat.  If you can't drink beer and sail in
peace, what's the point?

Brad

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/mobileoptions/nationalaccess/index.jsp?ac