[Rhodes22-list] Internet from your boat?

Mark Kaynor mkaynor at gmail.com
Tue May 24 15:04:21 EDT 2005

Brad,

The cell phone option is out for us since we're generally online a minimum
of 8 hours a day each - that's 40 hours a week or 160 hours a month - we'd
need a plan that included 9600 minutes / month  each. And it would have to
be with Verizon, since they've got the best coverage on the Bay as far as I
can tell. Verizon offers a 6000 minute plan for $299 / mo. - a bit more that
unlimited data use for $80 / mo.

Technology changes constantly, especially in this field. Satellite's going
to get better and more affordable, WiMax will be here soon, etc., etc. -
there are loads of hacks and homemade Linux based stuff we could do - we
just don't have the time. It's bad enough that work is impinging on our boat
time <g>. We decided to go w/ Verizon for a year or two and see what's
available then - the investment is worth it to us if we can work AND cruise.

Mark